Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Messiah 23: He was despised

Isaiah 53:3
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Isaiah 50:6
6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

This tempo marking on this aria is "largo", so it is very slow. On this recording, it takes about a minute for every eight measures. Also, it has a da capo (it repeats the first half at the end), so even though it only takes up four pages in our score, it is more than 13 minutes long in this recording. This is why it takes up two YouTube videos. The first video has the first four pages as written, and the second video has the da capo.


1 comment: